Saturday, June 28, 2008

Solomon Islands, Japan, Malaysia, Hong Kong

OK so the last few posts have been rather long, in true Raewyn Essay Fashion!

I'm going to keep this one short-ish and combine two trips into 1 post, if at all possible.

2005 - 3rd year of my BSc, big stress out, parents moved to the Solomons. December 2005 I went there for 2 weeks over christmas.

Massive Culture Shock, as would happen to a girl who is used to not having 'lizards' or massive cockroaches or huntsman spiders sharing her living space. But I learned a lot, it's an amazing country. Really stinking hot, but I expect that to happen in Japan when I get there too so what's new, but amazing!!!

The people in the Solomons have little to worry about but their survival. They have fertile land and fresh fish daily. They have fresh fruit, fresh veges and throw a pineapple head out the window and you've got a new pineapple in about a week I swear. They are poor but want for nothing. They don't understand our materialistic nature (largely) and seem to not need to worry about it at all.

The landscape, wow! I don't think I can describe to be honest.

And the time to unwind... priceless.

Swung past Brisbane on the way home and did too much shopping but got back to Dunedin in one piece and felt completely relaxed when I got there.

2006 - Mum, Dad and Kat decide we're meeting in Malaysia for Christmas so I go to Japan for 3 weeks on the way and decide that yip I am going to apply for JET at the end of my BA.

Japan was amazing that first time but I reckon it's going to be just as good if not better this time and I cannot wait! Which is why I haven't written anything about where I went or what I did because I'll be going back there and soon!

Malaysia was also cool. I had been there when I was 5 but remembered extremely little except the shop in Singapore where Dad bought me 'spotty dog' the dalmation soft toy. We hung out at KLCC mall, went to Genting Highlands, did some more shopping, ate and ate and ate and ate. Quote from Uncle Tai - 'you want eat? let's go eat!'.

And last but not least, Hong Kong!! 3 days of pure awesomeness. Manolo Blahnik, Jimmy Choo, Gucci, Shanghai Tang... hanging out with Juliette was amazing and I plan on doing it again while I am in Japan, this time I want to see and do things that don't involve expensive shoes that I fit like a glove but I can't have.

So that's the summary, photos may follow but right now I want to eat so I am going to go eat.

No comments: