Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Reality...

Reality...

Well let's just say that the reality of my life at the moment is that since I went to Sri Lanka in August 2011 (which needs blogging, still I know), I am not going to be able to leave NZ for at least another year. I dislike this fact so I am attempting to ignore it.

In my attempts to ignore it I intend to blog about my trips to Singapore, Sri Lanka and New Zealand's Northland over the next few weeks. I also make a daily trip to London via the blog of my sister, LadyLovesCake, who is the whole reason I went to Sri Lanka last year. If I slack off on my blogging, however, it is because of the reality of my life at the moment.

The reality of my life at the moment is that it only took 18 months but I have my life back again after JET. I am so busy that I barely have time for myself (in theory).

This year I am:
  1. Doing my Master of Environmental Management Thesis on base line environmental indicators for newly formed city councils.
  2. Working part time as an ESL teacher subcontracted from the English School that I work for to a lovely little school nearby.
  3. Working part time as an ESL, Maths and Science tutor.
  4. Secretary of the Auckland Japan Exchange and Teaching Alumni Association (JETAA).
  5. Involved in a political party at the electorate level.
  6. Involved in a political party at the regional level.
  7. Involved with the National Council of Women of New Zealand because of number 4.
  8. Involved with the New Zealand Japan Society of Auckland (NZJS) on a semi-casual basis.
  9. Learning to play softball with the NZJS team.
  10. Considering doing some volunteer work with Antarctica New Zealand to pay my Antarctica trip 10 years ago forward.
So reality is that 10 years ago, aboard 2041, I believed that I would be traveling the world as some sort of foreign correspondenty business persony thing woman lady. The truth is that I a) live with my parents and b) am doing completely different things to what I ever would have dreamed of. The reality is that I am busy and the furthest that I get to travel this year will probably not even be as far as Dunedin.

I was at a family function the other day (Happy 70th Auntie!!!) with family that I had not seen in what feels like forever including my great aunt who makes me feel like a lazy poo poo head every time I sit down to write because she is still running around with few hearing, sight, or mobility issues at 82! I felt like a complete loser when I filled my father's cousins in on what I was up to these days, purely because I am living at home on a strict strict budget semi-reliant on my parents for the life to which I could so easily become accustomed. This is not a nice feeling even if they did have that look of understanding about the economy not being in such a flash state since 2008 when I moved to Japan.

But I have a plan and if I play my cards right will be able to return the favour (I am incredibly excited about her visit very soon) and visit LadyLovesCake in London next year en route to Africa. I am hoping that she's in a financial position to join me too maybe. ;-)

More about the past 8 months to come. There is soooo much that needs writing.

Peace, love and penguins.

Rae

No comments: