Sunday, June 19, 2011

JET Pre-departure Orientation from the other side

As a member of one's local JET Alumni Association one is sometimes asked to help out with JET promotion events, JET orientation events and such like.


This past week I ran into the local JETAA president at the meeting of another Japan related organisation that we both belong to. Having established that orientation was this weekend and that eating might be occurring afterwards (eating!!!! I am always up for eating!), I asked him if they needed any extras for it. Well! As luck would have it another person had had to pull out at the last minute and would it be ok if I helped him with his section. No problem man!


It turned out to be a lot of fun, both the eating and the orientating. It was quite the trip down memory lane and a really fun day in the end. Of course, it culminated in Karaoke! I haven't sung like that in ages.


I am really excited for the new JETs beginning their journey. It feels like only yesterday that was me sitting where they were sitting asking questions etc. They all seem so excited.


I'm so glad that I was given the opportunity to help out.


Oh and for those that want to know where good Japanese food is in Auckland, try Don (丼) on High Street in the central city, the duty manager's name on the sign might be Korean but I swear to goodness that that place has authentic Japanese staff and food! Nom nom!

No comments: