Thursday, June 17, 2010

6 weeks of work in Japan left...

Time for some more reflections.

With less than 6 weeks to go in this job I'm starting to feel like I might miss it. I've been really busy of late and have started trying to organise to meet up with people whom I feel have been a real positive influence on my time here but have moved schools or are not associated with any of my schools. I'm starting to realise how daunting this prospect is and am thinking of setting up a management system to try to see everyone whilst maintaining a) my physical health and b) my financial health. If that means that I'm going to have to miss some JET activities in the process then so be it. Sorry JET friends, I love you but my Japanese friends will be very disappointed if I don't see them and spend all my time with you.

Over the years of moving around, first to the US as a kid, then back to NZ then changing schools then going away for university, moving to Wellington, then coming here. I've come to realise how easy it can be to just lose touch. It's strange how that happens so often. So, as part of my efforts to keep in touch with people I am planning a whole series of catch ups with the vice principal who gave me a hug the second she met me, to the crazy English teacher who is still trying to convert me to her brand of Buddhism, to the friend whom a friend introduced me to. I'm making lists. I'm going to try to see one or two of them each weekend that I have remaining, bar this weekend because I am broke and need a rest. It's going to be my mission in life to attempt to keep my ties to Takaoka and Toyama, I guess time will tell.

In the coming weeks I have JET events pouring out my ears. I have a plan to climb Hakusan on July 10th. I have the Japanese Language Proficiency Test on July 4th. I have MUCH going on. Not to mention needing to pack.

My days in my schools are numbered now. That scares me. Yesterday, my colleague and I realised that I only have one more full day at my once every 2 weeks primary school. I walked out of there just a little subdued. Just now my 3rd grade class forgot about me and I'm a little bit sad. Next time, I will remind the teacher because that is going to be my last class with them, my second and last class with them. Scary thought.

The thing is though, that I'm glad I'm leaving now. One more year here and I feel like I would form too much of an attachment to too many people. Leaving at the two year point means that I've made lasting friendships but won't cry my eyes out when I go. I WILL cry my eyes out when I say goodbye to my 'host family' in Kansai but I don't know how much I'm going to cry when I actually go. I say all this now but I'm an incredibly loyal person and emotional when I leave people and places, so we shall see soon enough.

More reflections soon... if I find the time.

Rae

No comments: