Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Kurisumasu!

Merry Christmas Everyone!!
Or should I say Meli Kulisumasu? Hmm.

And so this is Christmas and what have you done? Another year over, a new one just begun...

What have I done?

Well, for one I have sung The First Noel and Silent Night in 2 languages this year. English outside the big department store in Takaoka and Japanese in Takaoka Kyokai (church) this evening. What an experience!! I know who I thank for that and whether you agree with me or not it is the original reason we have Christmas.

But back to what I have done...

I have had my first job fresh out of uni and learned a lot through it.



I have moved to Japan to teach English to the craziest bunch of kids I have ever met and wouldn't wish for a different bunch of kids either.



I have hung out with amazing people in both NZ and Japan and set up quite the little house in my shoebox apartment in Takaoka.

I have caught up with people I haven't seen in a long time and touched base with those I see regularly.

I have volunteered at World Vision in Wellington and am still trying to find a volunteer opportunity here in Japan but doubtless one will reveal itself in due course.

I have discovered authors I never thought I'd read, I've read books I should have read when I was a child.

I have climbed Mt Fuji in bad weather.

I have to told countless children about what it was like 'chisai toki de' (when I was small).

I think the most important thing I have done this year has been come to Japan, it's had such an impact on me already and I've only been here 2 days shy of 5 months.



And with that I am going to lift my fingers off the keyboard, listen to Boney M's Christmas Album to help me forget that I am not with my family this Christmas for the first time ever and remember that there are people out there this Christmas who have nothing and noone, while eating the final piece of chocolate out of my advent calendar (thanks so much Kat) as it is only 9:30pm in Japan right now.



Merry Christmas!!!!

Luv,

Rae

No comments: