Saturday, December 5, 2009

Of fantastic catching up with UK friends.

22 July 2009

I caught up with 2 of my awesome friends. One of whom had come down from to London from Liverpool to see me. The other who took his lunch late to catch up with the both of us.

It was a fantastic day. We met for lunch in a really pretty park and had this great catch up. Sounds like my friend who lives and works in London is determined to see as much of Europe as he can while he's on the visa that he has for 2 years. It was really cool to catch up and see someone who left NZ just after I did and has seen so much more of the world than me in the same amount of time. Though, it is easier and cheaper to get places from London than it is from Toyama so I'm not entirely surprised that he can do as much traveling as he does.

My other friend that I caught up with is a medical student in Liverpool who was in my Human and Medical Genetics class at uni, not to mention a really good friend before that too. She cruised on down to London for a day and a night mostly because I was there I do believe. So after lunch she and I headed off to Covent Garden to buy a present for my sister. On the way to Covent Garden this 22 year old guy working for World Vision as his summer job managed to flirt us into sponsoring a child, actually just my friend. I used to volunteer for them doing his job so I wasn't about to buy into it, besides I don't live in England and have suspended my donations to World Vision Children in Crisis indefinitely while I am in Japan. I do have to admit though that remembering that makes me laugh soooo hard. I wonder how that's going actually. Finally, I got her to sponsor a child, even if it took an English dude who was being paid by WV to actually convince her. ;-)

So, in Covent Garden, we went to the NZ grocery store and got some potato chips and L&P. The chips were for later with my sister but the L&P was for the drinking there and then. It was heaven and yet incredibly strange. There we were in one of the places that is seen as "quintessential" London drinking something that is "so" New Zealand. Very odd. I've got the coolest photo of the pair of us with our cans of L&P . L&P seems to be one of the things that I really miss from home. That and decent coffee but that is a story for another day.

It was a really chilled out day, reminiscent of weekends at uni when we either had no study to do or were procrastinating our butts off.

My sister really liked her gifts too which made me really happy. That lot was not cheap!

No comments: